Monday, May 4, 2009

TGI Fridays in downtown Austin - very accommodating for gluten-free eating

Saturday night I was eating with friends at the TGI Fridays in downtown Austin.  I tried to pick something off of the menu and told the waiter I had Celiac disease.  Minutes later, a manager appeared and let me know that if I wanted to be really careful, I probably shouldn't eat there since they use the same oil for breaded and non-breaded items and have no segregation of grilling surfaces, etc.  

I told her I would risk eating something off of the grill and she suggested a plain burger with a side of steamed broccoli and fruit.  I thought that sounded fabulous and was amazed and pleased that she had immediately warned me about possible contamination issues.  Also, she admitted that they had no idea what ingredients were in their salad dressing.

Of course, it wasn't my favorite meal ever, but I was full and felt fine for the rest of the night.  The fact that the manager was so well-informed made me feel comfortable enough to eat there.

2 comments:

AW said...

TGIF's is one of those places I cringe at, because I KNOW everything there is so NOT GF friendly.

But I decided to plunge in one day with a bunch of work girls. I've eaten at the TGIF's in Plano (off 75) and the manager was very accomodating as well. I figured I'd just order a simple salad with O&V dressing. But ended up ordering a grilled salmon with no spices, herbs, nothing and steamed broccoli. It was a lovely meal and I never reacted!

5boys4kathy said...

The manager at my friday's said that the seasoning they put on their burgers is NOT gluten free. It is fine if you order it without the seasoning.