Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Decadent gluten-free Pear Torte



I was looking through my copy of The Gluten-Free Vegan cookbook searching for a recipe tasty enough that I could make it for my gluten-eating-friend's birthday.  She doesn't do eggs, so my standard GF cake recipes wouldn't cut it. 

 I came across a recipe for a pear torte that sounded like it would do the job.  The recipe promised that this was the dish to take to potlucks and special suppers and that even gluten-eating non-vegetarians would like it.

Although I'm generally skeptical of statements like this I decided to make it.  The crust is made of sorghum flour, walnuts, agave syrup, egg-replacer, a little vanilla and vegan margarine.  The filling is tofutti cream cheese, tofutti sour cream, agave syrup and vanilla and it's topped with fresh pears and a sprinkling of cinnamon. 

It took a bit longer than a cake to make - you have to pre-bake the crust, slice the pears, etc. But it was all worth it when my friend and I sampled it this morning.  Although my friend will always try my concoctions, she is generally not a fan of gluten-free baking.  The torte, however, was a welcome treat.

Sweet, nutty, creamy and crisp at the same time.  This is definitely worth the effort.

No comments: