Monday, January 12, 2009

Gluten-Free, lattice-crust pie idea


This picture by Star-Telegram photographer Joyce Marshall is of a fully-glutinous, lattice-crust pie, but I now have a plan thanks to local chef and founder of the Culinary School of Fort Woth Judie Byrd for a Gluten-Free version. I hope to try this out on a linzer torte that I plan to bake for Valentine's Day, but I thought I'd pass the tip on ahead of time for the rest of you guys.
  1. Lay strips of dough across the top of the pie like in a traditional lattice crust.
  2. Lay strips of dough going the opposite way on top of the first strips instead of trying to weave them.
  3. Lay another layer of strips in the same direction of the first layer.  This creates an optical illusion that the strips have been woven.
Alternatively, you could try a lattice-crust cutter but I'm not sure how successful that would be with GF dough.

No comments: