Thursday, August 28, 2008

Make your own Gluten-Free ice cream


Many high quality ice creams are already gluten free - one of my favorites is Blue Bell's Homemade Vanilla.  However, I often have a slight fear of cross-contamination in processed foods.

This summer I bought a Cuisinart ice cream maker, although there are several different brands which I'm sure will work fine.

I've made several different kinds of blissfully 100% GF ice cream and sorbet already.  The other great thing with making your own ice cream is you can add mix-ins yourself at the almost-done stage.
So, if you make your own GF cookie dough, or buy some GF oreo cookies, you can crush them up and have a safe, tasty treat.

For the calorie conscious, it's good because you can control the amount of fat and calories and still be safe.  Many of the low-cal products seem to contain modified food starch.

No comments: