Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Gluten Free Road Trip Tips


If all goes well, I'll be off on a road trip to Jasper, Arkansas this weekend.  There is one organic restaurant in town that serves food I can eat and has a small supply of GF necessities, but other than that, it's breaded and fried all the way.  Here are some tips for not having to stress when travelling into Glutinous territory.

  1. I make a pot of GF spaghetti and meat sauce and divvy it up into plastic containers and store them in a cooler.  Then, I can eat anywhere on the road and supplement my meal with whatever fresh fruits/veggies I can find.
  2. I bring a box of GF cereal and some bananas.  Then, breakfast is no sweat at McDonalds, Starbucks or anywhere else.  All I need is some milk.  I can even eat at a gas station.  It helps to bring disposable bowls and spoons.  Otherwise, just make do with available materials.  I've eaten cereal out of paper cups before.
  3. Bring an emergency bar of some sort for every day just to have on you.  I like the chocolate Larabars and the chocolate and sesame seed KIND bars, but there are lots to choose from.
  4. If you get really stuck, just go to a grocery store and search the outer ring.  You can always find fresh fruit and cheese for an emergency meal.  Also, don't forget a great alternative of apples and peanut butter.
  5. There are a surprising amount of common junk foods in gas stations that are GF including my favorite - Cracker Jacks.  Don't overlook obvious other snacks like individual serving packs of nuts, even corn nuts and pumpkin seeds.
  6. If you're out with friends, don't forget you won't have bread to soak up any alcohol, so consider that before ordering a cocktail before dinner.  
  7. Keep your eyes and ears open for possibilities.  I went with a friend to a cafe in New Orleans, certain I'd be sitting there salivating as she ate a beignet (tasty, donut-like treat) and wound up with some scrumptious fresh lemonade and a bag of the best meringue cookies I've ever eaten!