Thursday, July 2, 2009

Eating gluten-free in Shenandoah National Forest

I set off this morning with a cooler full of lunch fixin's, but tonight I braved the restaurant at Skyland Lodge. It was sooo fabulous. I asked our waiter if he knew what gluten was and he scoffed, "Of course, I do!" I was so excited I think I clapped my hands.

Next thing you know, he was checking with the chef and modifying my menu choice - Pan seared chicken with a Riesling cream sauce, green beans, a baked potato and a side salad with blackberry vinaigrette. For dessert, my dad and I split one scoop of blackberry ice cream after swearing we wouldn't do dessert every night.

It was so delectable that I didn't even put anything on the baked potato, I just sopped up the rest of the sauce from the chicken. So, there you have it, national parks rocking the gluten-free world! Tomorrow night, I think I'll try the turkey plate!

No comments: